Tuesday 26 March 2013

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1) by C.J Roberts

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.

If I had to pick one book that I know I will never forget as long as I live, this would be my without a doubt the book I would choose.

I will start by saying that this book will not be to everyone's tastes. It covers very serious issues including rape, abduction and extreme violence. It is without doubt the darkest story I have ever read. At many part's in this book I felt extremely uncomfortable reading it and yet it captivated me at the same time.

The story in written in two POV's. it switches from third person to first person by Olivia. The majority of the story is told from Olivia's POV. I have to say that for me, this format really did work. It would not have benefitted the reader to be inside caleb's mind, in my opinion.

The story starts with Caleb stalking Olivia having already decided that she is the chosen girl he is to kidnap and train. They meet, briefly. Olivia is instantly attracted to him. And they then go their separate ways... Or so she thinks.

First shock. When she is first taken and realises who has taken her prisoner... Caleb. Olivia instantly clung to him for protection when other members of his team were present. Caleb is extremely cruel with her and yet, she craves his company. In her eyes it's better than being alone. Caleb's intention is to train Olivia or as he calls her.. kitten to become a sex slave and then to gift her to his greatest enemy. Olivia is simply a pawn in a very dangerous game.

Everything about the blurb suggests this book cannot possibly work. But it does. This is by no means a love story. It is a story about trying to survive in some of the worst possible situations that life could ever throw at you. Any actions you choose at a time lead to consequences. It entered into a world I didn't even know existed. Hats off to the author who must have done a tremendous amount of research to write this story. It was so well detailed.

I always try to avoid giving the storyline away in my Review's. It's something I feel each reader should get to discover. Rather than waiting for a scene to play out. I will say it is full of suspense, drama and heartache. If you think it may be of interest to you, then I encourage you to take a chance. It is one of the best books i have ever read.

This story continues in Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2)

5*


No comments:

Post a Comment