Thursday 28 March 2013

Forever Black (Forever Black,#1) by Sandi Lynn

When Ellery moved to New York with her boyfriend, she thought they’d live happily ever after in their small New York apartment. She never thought he’d pack his bags and leave because he “needed space.” With her newfound single status and fear of being alone, Ellery buries herself in her artwork and paintings until one night she helps a mysterious intoxicated stranger get home safely. Little did she know the mysterious stranger is none other than CEO and millionaire Connor Black. After finding Ellery in his kitchen the next morning and assuming she broke his #1 rule about sleepovers, he becomes intrigued, not only by her stubbornness and defiance, but by her kindness.

Connor Black, emotionally dead and damaged, that stemmed from a personal tragedy, made a vow to never love or fall in love with a woman, until Ellery Lane walked into his life by accident. After she opens up and shows him her world, Connor starts to feel emotions and feelings he never knew existed. Despite the rumors and warnings regarding Connor Black and his use and misuse of women, Ellery finds herself being drawn into his world.

Ellery knows they can never be together because she is harboring a deep secret that could destroy Connor emotionally forever.

Join Connor and Ellery as they embark on a journey of courage, love and strength. Will it be enough to save them?

Ok, so after hearing a certain amount of buzz surrounding this book I decided to check it out. Having read the blurb I quickly drew to the conclusion that here we had a typical 'Billionaire CEO meets ordinary girl' type of story. Not that this is a bad thing, I really enjoyed Fifty shades and the Crossfire series etc. I just presumed that this would be another version of these stories. Well, I was very wrong. Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional journey this book took me on.

The story starts with the reader being introduced to Ellery. She isn't in the best of places. Her boyfriend has just left her and she's feeling a bit sorry for herself. Throwing herself into her art work, she attempts to carry on with her life. That is, until her best friend drags her out to a club one night and she meets Connor Black. Her life is about to change forever.

Nothing about there first meeting is typical. He is extremely drunk and completely unaware to Ellery's presence. In fact, he is so drunk that Ellery comes to his rescue and takes him home. After an exhausting struggle getting Connor home she ends up staying the night.

The following morning when Connor awakes, he is mad, assuming that he slept with Ellery and she stayed the night. He tells her in no uncertain terms that she had outstayed her welcome. Ellery fills him in on the previous evening events and he is surprised at her random act of kindness and also intrigued by this young woman. And so begins the start of their relationship...

I found it very refreshing that they did not leap into bed with each other and actually formed a friendship first.

Connor Black was seriously hot. He was also seriously uptight. He lived in his own bubble where he controlled everything in his life. Step forward, Ellery. This young lady had such a free spirit. It was easy to see why Mr uptight was so captivated by her. Connor tried, on many occasions to to tell Ellery what to do. I loved that she did as she pleased and not what she was told. She lived everyday as if it was her last.

They relationship these two formed was beautiful. He was like the ying to her Yang. Complete opposites that complimented each other. When they fell, they fell hard. Separately they were each intruiging characters. But together, they were magical.

As with all good stories there is a turning point to the book. Ellery was keeping a huge secret from Connor. One big enough to destroy not just their relationship but their entire lives. I had a gut feeling as to what it might be. And unfortunately I was right. The world comes crashing down around Ellery and Connor, and I went from happy to heartbroken in the space of a chapter.


Literally every human emotion made an appearance in me when I read this story. At times, I almost didn't want to carry on. Sandi's writing was beautiful and she handled such a sensitive issue very well.

Connor and Ellery's story really made me believe that with life you are never guaranteed a happy ending. But with true love you can face anything.

This is Sandi Lynn's debut novel, and what a cracker it is! After reading this book I am most certainly a fan. This story is part of a trilogy with the second book 'Forever you' being released soon. I can't wait to get my fresh fix of Mr Black, he has made quite an impression on me ;)

I'm happy to recommend this book. Its one of my favourite book's of the year so far.

My favourite quotes from the book....

“Because at some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life and this is my way of keeping you in my heart.”

“There's no limit to what I wouldn't do for you. Just ask and it will be done, no matter the sacrifice.”

“Infinity is forever, and that is what you are to me, you are my forever Mr. Black.”

“Well, a lot of people believe in the happily ever after and the fairytale relationships, let's not take that away from them.”


I rate this book 4.5*

Jade :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment