Wednesday 27 March 2013

To Stand Beside Her by B. Kristin McMichael

To be the best courier in the world, eighteen-year-old Benét Leila follows three simple rules: always work alone, never stay in one place too long, and never fall in love. Too bad she didn't follow her own advice.

Leila is a courier. To the people she takes from, she is seen as a common thief; to the people she helps, she is a savior.

Nalick is your typical king. He's rich, powerful, and always assumed to be right. When Leila crosses paths with King Nalick, she finds herself trapped. In a rush to save her best friend Kay from a prison sentence for a crime Leila committed, Leila trades her hand in marriage in exchange for Kay’s freedom.

Tomboy Leila does not want to grow up, but in three months’ time, she will be married to King Nalick, if Nalick can keep his end of the bargain. First, Nalick must make Leila fall in love with him, a hard task since Leila is not ready to love again after losing her first love to a greedy king. Second, Nalick must keep her safe. He is not the only king trying to hold onto her. Leila has made many enemies over the years, and even more admirers that want her as a prize. Lastly, Nalick must convince Leila that ten years of love is better than a lifetime without. Unless Leila can trust her destiny, she might not reach her wedding day at all.

I recieved a copy of this book in return for an honest review. I have to say that upon reading the blurb I knew that this wasn't the type of book that I would normally read. However, it did interest me and I was happy to give it a try.

When I started the story I did find it slightly confusing. I felt that the author was a bit vague in certain parts and I had to draw my own conclusions as to what this story was actually about. That said, after I had covered a few chapters I started to get more into it and was eager to see which way Leila's path would lead her.

Given the circumstances surrounding Leila and Nalick's engagement, I didn't think that I would warm to his character at all. However he was quite endearing and I liked him from quite an early point. He was respectful to Leila and very much in awe of the legend she had become. He believed in his fate to be with her but it was clear that to him, she was so much more than the 'prize' all the other kings simply viewed her as.

Leila was highly likeable. She was a very strong and self assured young women. Yet, never did she come across as arrogant. It was easy to see grasp why King Nalick loved her deeply. What statred off as a means to an end for Leila did develop into something deeper as she began to fall for her king.

Whilst having early reservations about these characters early on. I immediately liked Anatolio and was pleased when it became clear that he would also play a
definitive role in this story. I also loved the introduction of the three orphan children. Seeing how both Leila and Nalick cared for and protected them was heart warming.


This book, in my opinion had the pefect mix of elements that make a good story... Love, lust, action, drama and angst.

My only qualm would be that I felt the ending was very rushed. When it was over I was left with an awful lot of unanswered questions. I am not aware that this book is part of a series so for me the ending was very disappointing.

As I said previously, this book isn't typical of my preferred genre. I am glad I got the chance to read it though because, i did enjoy it. It could definately benefit a second book so that we could see where Leila's story goes.

Thank you B. kristen McMichael for the oppertunity.

I rate this book 3.5*

Jade :) xx


No comments:

Post a Comment